Monday 12 October 2009

First count

I'm in Sweden, typing away at my Mammas laptop in the kitchen. I'm sitting in a quiet sleeping house trying desperately to stay positive.

This morning Mr. Sister (BIL) gave me and Mamma a ride to Gothenburg. We arrived early for my 12 o'clock appointment so we walked around town for an hour before taking a cab to the clinic. Got to the clinic in time and went in for my first ultrasound to make sure we're producing follicles galore. Of course I am. Right? Saw a different doc from last time who shook my hand and asked me to drop trou. So I did. Like a good girl. Then he brought out the dildo cam. In front of my Mamma. Thank goodness she's a retired nurse. Dr. Doodle started looking around but soon asked me if , by chance, I needed to go urinate. He said he couldn't see much because of my full bladder... I wasn't really aware of the fact that I had to pee again, I had been once since I arrived at the clinic but quickly proceeded to down a gallon of water. So I jumped out of the stirrups, threw undies and jeans back on and ran to the loo to relieve my bladder of what was obstucting Dr. Doodles view. Back into the room, jumped out of panties and jeans for the second time and bounced back into the stirrups. After some fiddling around he found my right ovaries and started counting and measuring... First follie was 14mm, second a staggering 15 and third was 12... I waited... and that was it for the right side. WTF?? Neither I or Dr. Doodle were too thrilled about that and he immediately upped my dose to 300IE of Gonal-F a day. On to the left. Waiting. Nothing. Lots of doodleing and fiddling and mucking about but nothing. Dr. Doodle couldn't find my left frickin' ovary!! Double WTF? He said it happens and it's probably just that there's no big follicles on that side... What? That's supposed to make me feel... relieved? What? He told me not to worry about it, increase the dose and add a shot of Orgalutran to the mix and come back Friday to check for progress. He told me that even if they're only able to retrieve three they could all be star eggs and we'd have great chances and that if they did find eggs on the left side during retrieval those would just be bonus eggs. Wasn't sure if I should laugh hysterically or cry.

The rest of the day my sweet Mamma did a pretty good job distracting me by dragging me in and out of stores, feeding me lots of bad yummy things and asking my advise on about two thousand winter jackets she tried on. We rode the train home and was greeted by Sister and Nephew at the house. My nephew kept up the good work of distracting me by playing peek-a-boo, reading stories (me, not him, he's only 15 months old) and giving lots of snuggles. He kept me busy 'til he basically fell asleep running. At ten it was time to do the bigger shot and introducing the new shot. The new shot hurt like a MOFO and my poor belly got all red and itchy. And then they all went to bed. And I called D. And I cried.

Three little follicles. Please grow. Please tell your buddies to grow. Please. Love, Your Mommy

15 comments:

  1. I hope your follies grow!!! I am sending lots of "growth" thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, please don't despair, it's so early! A friend of mine had 6 follies showing up until day 10 of stims, and then all of a sudden she had 14. I bet at your next u/s, you'll see a bunch more and hopefully Ol' Leftie won't be feeling shy. I also have a shy left ovary, btw -- sometimes they can find it if I raise my bum off the table - it's a bizarre position to be in, with the dildo-cam inserted, but it seems to work.

    Sending you tons of GROW FOLLIE GROW vibes!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. it is early, don't give up on those ovaries just yet. sending you lots of good vibes and great big hugs!! sorry the shot hurt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Try not too worry too much - it sometimes takes some "fiddling" with the dosage to get them to pop! - Tkeys

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sorry it wasn't the news you were hoping for, but stay positive. The new dosage may just be what your ovaries need to get things moving. I'll be thinking of you on Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aren't Moms great? My Mom has done the same for me on a rough day. Thinking of you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sending giant growing vibes to your ovaries! Cooperate, damn it! Here's hoping that the dose increase will kick the ovaries into gear.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hope those follies grow! I just gave you an award but I see you already have it! Oh well - just know your doubly wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sending positive and follicle-growing vibes in your direction.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am confident that those three will be good and there are bound to be some on the left one, too. Best wishes, Sweetie!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Grow follies, GROW! Thinking of you...FX for great follies at the next u/s!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Grow follies grow!! It seems like it takes forever before my follies take off. Good luck!! You have an award on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sending you lots of follie miracle-grow vibes!!! Don't worry yet, I always start out on the lower side and then they start coming out everywhere by the end of the stim phase. Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Just checking in to see how today's scan went. Hopefully you've got lots of follies growing away.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me. Hug me. Spank me. Whatever, just comment.